Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Personal Chef?

Almost all of my money is spent on eating in restaurants and I'm always on the lookout for ways to "increase my revenue." Shrewdness often plays a part in my schemes, and it was on full display yesterday, when I picked up a few quick bucks for nothing. My mom and I were driving in the car at about 6:00, and her exhaustion was evident. "I don't want to make dinner!" she said, exasperated. "I'll do it for you!" I exclaimed, and just before her glee had settled in, I said "for 5 bucks." "Deal" she said, clearly happy to have that weight off her chest.

Now let me straighten things out a bit. I rarely, if ever cook dinner for the family. My sisters are extremely selective, and their likes and dislikes change faster than broccoli cooks. I do however, cook for my parents rather frequently. So now that I was cooking for the family, I had to find some middle ground. I knew that pasta would satisfy everyone, so I decided on that. I also chose to make some broccoli because of the vegetable requirement placed by my mom. It's like gym in high school. It's really stupid to take, and no one does anything in it, but it's a requirement. Broccoli is stupid to cook, because no one will eat it, but it's required.

I simply boiled water while simultaneously heating up some pasta sauce, to which I added some salt, olive oil, parmesan cheese (not the stuff in the green can), and a small amount of champagne vinegar to balance out the acidity. I cooked the pasta to a minute underdone, then tossed it in a pan with the sauce and some of the pasta water, then served it.

Wow! That was fun, and possibly the easiest five bucks you ever made. So if you ever are so lazy that you want me to come over and boil some water and throw some pasta in for you, don't hesitate to call. Rates are still low.

No comments: