Monday, January 12, 2009

Talk the Talk

I've really got to get back into the habit of regular posting. Half the reason I've been slacking is because I wanted to keep my post about voting for me for the weblog awards near the top. Not that I don't want you to vote for me anymore, believe me, I do, but it's time to move on. The other reason is because I must contend with track meets and practices, homework, and oncoming midterms. Perhaps not so ironically, the closer midterms get, the less I am thinking about school and the more I'm thinking about food. Just today in Spanish I came up with this incredible idea (at least I think so) for barbecue peanut butter. I plan to roast peanuts with cumin, paprika, chili powder and the like, then grind them in the food processor with brown sugar. That idea still needs refinement though, "no es finishedo" as I would say in Spanish.
Anyways, it seems that I've picked up a bunch of new readers from the weblog awards, and now I must attempt to keep them intrigued. I'm really not sure how I'm going to go about doing that. I almost feel like the geeky guy in school with no money, no cars, and no looks, who's trying to get the prettiest girl in school. The geek does have personality though. Which reminds me......
What motivated me to take my cooking to the next level.

It was the beginning of the year in 7th grade, you know, when you play all those stupid ice-breaker games. Can't stand those. 2 truths and 1 lie? Come on, I've used the same ones 30 times.

Anyway, for one class we had to talk about ourselves a little bit. Is that not the most awkward game ever? You don't know if you should be drab and tell your birthday and your zodiac sign, or if you should tell about the one time you were mauled my a jaguar in Zimbabwe, and risk being looked at as the weirdo.

Lucky for me, there was a very pretty girl in my class, that for lack of a better name, we will call Bula Nightingale. Now at this point in my life, I wasn't known for cooking. Sure I did a few things here and there, but I was nowhere near as passionate as I am now. At that point I saw the perks of cooking as A) eating your creations, and B) impressing girls.

So I waited patiently as Sally Shoelace and Billy Gumdrop told about their summer vacations in the Andes, and Mexico, and as cynical Sam talked about his dislike for school. Finally it was my turn. I stood up, full of charisma, and professed my love of cooking, stretching the details to extreme proportion. The farther the details stretched, the farther my nose stretched, but Bula Nightingale didn't seem to notice. I looked over and she was listening intently.

I sat down, then realized I had told almost an absolute lie. I had to live up to my talk. The rest is history. Ongoing history, that is.

Note: The story is real but the people and places have been altered, lest they ever read this.

19 comments:

Daniel King said...

wow, man, I found your blog today through the food blog awards, and I freaking love it. Just thought I'd say.

Unknown said...

So did you and Miss Nightengale ever get together?

P.S. I also found you through the blog awards, so not winning is definitely not the worst thing!

Mel said...

I found your blog through a friend and LOVE IT! I can hardly believe you are a teenager! With as much talent as you have...I fully expect to see you on the Food Network very soon. Good luck with the awards...you have my vote :)

Cate said...

I confess, I didn't vote for you at the Weblog Awards (sorry! Cake Wrecks has my love) but I found your site through there, and I will definitely be reading from now on. :-)

Bob E. said...

Dear Nick,

I'm a friend of Rosemarie's. I discovered your blog through her.

Anyway, I have a theory that the reason men do EVERYTHING is to impress women, so your story resonated with me.

Sarah Goodman said...

WHO is Nightengale?

Geoff Egan said...

Just discovered your site this morning (from Jon Swift of all places!) and I think it a remarkable find. Went and voted for you but alas it's the last day of voting so I only got one in. I'll be back for sure.

Tasha said...

I too found you through the blog awards, and took my vote from Cake Wrecks and gave it to you! You remind me of my fiance and I when it comes to food. We're obsessed and passionate, but we're almost 10 years older than you! Keep it up and never stop learning. It's even better to do it for yourself, and not just to impress some girl ;)

Unknown said...

I also found you through the blog awards - what a literate, thoughtful young foodie you are! I'm a true fan and will return again and again.

Keep on cookin' kiddo!

Anonymous said...

I feel like I have to say, I did NOT find you through the weblog awards...found this through Chuck Eats...

Anyways, those are really nice pictures, ugh, I love sea urchin so much, it makes me miss home.

And your story, heh, men o.O...

Sam said...

I found your blog through Ruhlman! Your nomination for the award did lead me to cakewrecks, though... I had never heard of that one. You definitely got my vote!

Rach said...

Count me as one of the many who discovered your blog via the blog awards via Cakewrecks. I voted for you since Cakewrecks was safely running away with it. Also, I love your writing! As a fellow foodie since a young age, I would love to see you blog more often, although I understand that you are a busy guy.

c3 said...

Don't worry about courting those of us who found you through the Blog Awards. You've already intrigued us.

But we're like drug addicts -- we always need a new fix! MORE! MORE! MORE! MORE!

Sorry. Got a little carried away there. Love your writing, and I'll keep coming back for mre.

dona said...

"Anyway, I have a theory that the reason men do EVERYTHING is to impress women, so your story resonated with me."

Very true jajaja. Love this blog, discovered it about a month ago and spent houuurs reading nearly every post. love love love it and keep up the great work!!!

my fave post: defs the one on per se =)

Jena said...

I echo the question: did you get the girl?

Marianna said...

hey! i just landed on your blog today via serious eats and their feat on the food blog awards (congrats btw!) your blog is great, so refreshing, and absolutely enjoyed reading this post!! (btw, back when i was a kid i thought cooking would help me score points with my boy crushes hehe!)

Nick N said...

sorry, I'm kinda late on getting back to these posts.

I never really got the girl :(

It's ok though. That was middle school

LMP said...

I'm no foodie but my mom is so I sent her your link-- and became fascinated myself with your prose! You are quite the writer! The content was over my head (I struggle to make tea) but the writing is a delicious feast! :)

LMP said...

I'm no foodie but my mom is so I sent her your link-- and became fascinated myself with your prose! You are quite the writer! The content was over my head (I struggle to make tea) but the writing is a delicious feast! :)