Wednesday, June 16, 2010
My favorite afternoon snack
Mushrooms are so meaty, so substantial, so much more than a vegetable. I can eat a plate of mushrooms and feel like I've eaten a meal. For that reason, they've become my favorite after-school snack, taking the position formerly held by the egg nickmuffin tm. My favorite preparation follows.
Shrooms (two big handfulls)
Handful of pre-cooked, chopped, chorizo,
2 minced cloves of garlic
1/2 shallot minced
chives to sprinkle on top
chicken stock (or water, or red wine, or anything to deglaze the pan with really)
1. Render the chorizo with enough oil to cover the bottom of a cast-iron or heavy stainless steel pan.
2. When the chorizo is browned, removed it from the pan, and continue to heat the oil until it is smoking.
3. Add your shrooms and brown them on one side. Add the garlic and shallot and spread these and the mushrooms around with a spoon. Cook for about a minute more, then add the salt, pepper and enough deglazing liquid to come up about 1/8th inch on the pan.
4. Add the chorizo back into the pan.
5. Stir around the mushrooms as the liquid evaporates, cooking until the pan is almost dry, but leaving a little moisture so that the mushrooms are nicely glazed with the liquid.
6. Sprinkle with chives and grate parmesan over the top.