Friday, August 13, 2010

What am I doing?

Oh yea, that's right, I'm doing me.

Props to anyone understood that pop culture reference. I thought that some of you might be curious about what's going on with me. What's the next step?

Well I don't know what I'll get. I do know what I want, but I'm not sure what will come out of it. I want to go to Wharton (the business school at the university of Pennsylvania) damnit. That's where I will go. That's where I must go. I love business. I love management. I love running shit. I love that whole deal. I want to have experience in business so that I can open my own restaurant. I feel that a lot of restaurants fail because chefs know how to cook and nothing more. They lack acute accounting skills. I want to run a tight ship. I want to know my finances. That knowledge will make me comfortable cooking. I will be on top of things. I hope.

I love Wharton. I love the curriculum. I love Philadelphia. I love the campus. I love the thought that I could be going to one of the best undergrad business programs in the country. But what if I don't get in? See, basically I'm doing exactly what they tell you not to do in regards to college hunting. I'm putting all my eggs in one basket. I really want Wharton and if I plan to purchase a punching pag perchance I don't get in. But if I don't get in, I don't get in. I have to make due. I'm stubborn though, and pathetic sometimes. I think a lot of things aren't worth doing if I don't have the potential to be the best. That's why I quit basketball. That's why I cried when I lost a spelling B in second grade. I'm a baby. But if it's not Wharton, it'll be Lehigh business, or  Michigan business, or Virginia business, or Penn State business. And I'll mope for a little while, but then I'll be fine. And I'll move on. And I'll still run a tight ship when I own a restaurant.

But if anyone knows the admissions officer at Penn, put in a good word for me wont you ;)

13 comments:

James said...

... I'm living life right now.

Business is 5% cooking 5%, selling 90% IMO. Economics came in useful actually. But you can do anything with experience.... and passion.

Good luck!

Fellow Foodie-Cook said...

Although you know how to cook, keep in mind that some businesses fail because their management doesn't know anything else aside from business. They get too focused on accounting, modeling, forecasting, etc. and forget what made their business special in the first place. Numbers can be misleading. Statistics are not a substitute for thinking. Going down that path usually guarantees failure in the long run.

Now, it certainly takes a balance of business savvy and knowledge about one's product to run a good business. You obviously have to make money to sustain a business.

However, I think the most successful ones also have leaders who possess a certain trait--the ability to know things that are very unquantifiable but are critical to good decision making. A sense of the marketplace, of people, of how people think, and more.

Regardless, good luck!

Mandoline said...

You should apply to Harvard, Princeton and Columbia too. I'm sure you'd get in to Wharton if you have the grades and test scores (I'm betting you do) because your perspective on food is unique. Business is fine but you'll make better connections for the future at an Ivy.

Anonymous said...

You seem to have a truly unique perspective and grasp of what you want (and what will serve you best in the long run) - I hope you get in.

but I also bet you'll do just fine wherever you land. best of luck

Tags said...

I'm gonna guess that you've already read the CIA's "The Professional Chef" cover to cover.

Now just read it over and over.

Tim said...

@ Mandoline: Wharton IS an Ivy...

A Taste of Mode said...

I really love this post! I'm going to be a high school senior as well (not applying to Penn, however) and I have my sights set on a pretty tough school and if I don't get in I know that I'll mope and cry but then I'll be fine and still run my own magazine when I grow up. Good luck!

PS. My dad went to Wharton!

Anonymous said...

Good luck! And FYI University of Pennsylvania is an Ivy!

Zhana Sandeva said...

Hey Nick,

I'm a student at Penn - not at Wharton, but I have friends there. If you have: good exam grades; a background of rigorous study and dedication to some extracurricular activities; a very concrete idea of what you want to do at Wharton, how you can benefit from the available resources and how you will fit in, you should have no problems getting accepted. You can shoot me an email, I'd be happy to offer some advice.

Sanders said...

I'm sorry but Zhana that is kinda ridiculous. Of course those things are extremely difficult. Wharton's acceptance rate is lower than Harvard's (Penn as a whole has a higher acceptance rate).

It is so hard to get into Wharton that you basically need perfect grades/SATs.

Now I wish you good luck Nick but it is difficult and just because you don't go there isn't the end of the world. It's not where you go, but what you do with your education (at least most often)

Unknown said...

Dude, you are great wherever you are, and will be, wherever you go! Do you!

Anonymous said...

Here, here Fellow Foodie-Cook! I'll drink to that!

Anonymous said...

You might also want to look at Stern (NYU)'s business program. I mean, if you can't go to Wharton, being in Manhattan isn't a bad second.