Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Humboldt Fog

My buddy just got a job at a local cheese shop and I'm sure she will soon know far more than me about cheese. Though she's only worked one day, she's already picked out a favorite: Humboldt Fog. Of course, I had to get my butt over to the shop and sample said cheese, and tell her all about it, therefore displaying my superiority in all things food. Just Kidding, just kidding. I'm not that big know it all who talks about food to other kids like he's Auguste Escoffier. At least I try my best not to be. Anyway, I had to try that cheese, so I stopped by this local cheese shop for a sample.The owner of this shop is quite knowledgeable, and when questioned, he jumped into a lecture about how he met the maker of Humboldt Fog, how the maker never got into cheese until she got into goats, how it's a natural rind cheese, how it's named for the fog that comes in from Humboldt Bay California, how it's got an edible line of ash through the center etc. I tried a piece...
The taste of Humboldt Fog is slightly more complex, yet similar to other fine goat cheeses, what's most interesting and appealing is the texture.
Chefs design cheese plates around textural, and flavor contrast to the selected cheeses. I guess you could say Humboldt Fog is its own cheese course. It goes from almost crumbly in the center, to smooth towards the outside, then Brie consistency just before the rind. As it becomes softer it progresses in flavor, the outside Brie-like part tasting noticeably more pungent than the center. I love discovering a new, unique cheese like this. Thanks Sarah!

6 comments:

Sarah Goodman said...

No problem
Just another COTW (cheese of the week)
I already have next week's in mind

CHEF said...

http://www.cheese-france.com/cheese/bleu_auvergne.htm
One of my favorite Bleus. See if they carry this one. Creamy and pungeunt, accents of the floral, mountainous grasses the cows feed on in Auvergne region. I first tried this cheese on my honeymoon in Buffalo, and have to have it on any cheese display I serve. Definitely worth a try.

Nick N said...

Ill be on lookout chef

WindintheWires said...

I'm currently making my way through the depths of your blog, and this post caught my eye.

It was surprising to me that you, being such a foodie, had never had Humboldt Fog, which is sort of a household name for me. Then I realized that I live a few hours away from Humboldt Bay and you live a whole country away. I feel smart.

I guess if I asked the majority of kids my age ay school if they had ever heard of Humboldt Fog, though, they would look at me like I was crazy. . .

Zoe Winbourn Scott said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Abby said...

Being a local... another good thing from Humboldt (and in relation to the "Everything Bagel" post) includes the Los Bagels 'Slug' which can be ordered here: http://losbagels.com/catalog/index.php but I'm sure the shipped version FAR pales in comparison to the 7am fresh baked ones at the shop. This is paired WONDERFULLY with cream cheese, Larrupin Dill Sauce (also local & available at the Los Bagel's site), and Lox. If you are in the area, Los Bagels is a MUST.