Monday, March 22, 2010

Fun with food


I think cooking is the most fun when you're experimenting. When you're doing your own thing. When you're not constrained by a cookbook.

My sister and I have been doing this recently. We've been playing with food: having fun with it. My favorite recent creation of ours was blondie batter, mixed with chopped up peanut butter girl scout cookies, baked in a graham cracker crust, then topped with chocolate chips. It's childrens' food. It's playful. It's fun. And it's altogether over the top, but that's the appeal.

Note: These blondies do not contain baking powder. They are extremely dense and rich and are certainly not for the feint of heart. Proceed with caution.

Cookie Blondies

1 cup chopped Cookies (I used the chocolate peanut butter girl scout cookies)
1 stick butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1tsp vanilla

1. Melt butter over low heat in a sauce pan.

2. Add sugar and mix thoroughly.

3. Add egg, vanilla and salt. Mix.

4. Fold in flour then cookies.

Graham Cracker Crust (from Martha Stewart)
6.5 oz graham crackers
5 tbs melted butter
1/4 cup sugar
pinch salt

1. preheat oven to 350

2. combine all ingredient in a food processor and pulse until well combined.

3. Press down into a 9 inch pie dish.

4. Bake 8 minutes (the recipe calls for 12-14 but it will get plenty cooked when is goes back in with the blondies.

For Final Product.

1. Spoon blondies into crust top with chocolate Chips and bake 25-30 minutes. I usually go 25 cause I like them gooey in the middle.

2 comments:

Mandoline said...

That sounds fantastic! Spring and blondies go great together, as long as there is a glass of milk handy.

Heather said...

Just made these blondies last night with my 3-year-old nephew. Folded in milk chocolate chips and pecans, and they are perfect! Easy enough for my nephew to help me and still SO good! My new favorite dessert recipe! Thank you!