Thursday, June 12, 2008

Top Chef

Hey, don't read this if you don't want to know who won.


This was quite the finale. The cheftestants chose from 3 chefs, each with a different set of proteins. They would then cook with these chefs. Stephanie wisely chose Eric Ripert (I swear he's in 90% of this site's posts) or the "Ripper" as Grub Street calls him, my main man Richard chose Dan Barber, the chef at Blue Hill in New York (really intellectual chef), and Lisa chose April Bloomfield of The Spotted Pig. It was quite interesting watching Eric Ripert, a chef who now does frequent the kitchen, work. I liked it even more when Steph thought she had caught him doing something wrong. There was the slightest glimpse of a little Eric Ripert drama on Top Chef.

It was rather funny hearing Lisa's interpretation of her "bonding" with April, compared to mine. Lisa really thought they were getting close. To me it just seemed like the directors showed a few scenes where April was asking her questions. But I don't really know now do I?

Surprisingly, Stephanie and Eric were quite flustered, yet Lisa was grillin and chillin throughout the competition. Even more surprisingly, she put out some great food for the judges (not that I would've been able to tell by looking at it). Richard clearly choked, and said so at the end, realizing his imminent defeat. I really think he could have pulled this off, and I was disappointed that he didn't really show off what he could do. At one point I was extremely scared for a moment that the rules of gravity would subside, the earth would turn upside down, and Lisa would win Top Chef. Anyway, I quickly looked past those fears and Stephanie won. Woohoo! Can't wait till next season.

Oh and, if you happen to be a Bravo producer, I'll bake you brownies if you can get me on Top Chef Junior.

No comments: