Monday, February 16, 2009

Truffle Salt

I've been making my own popcorn for the past month ever since I realized how easy it is, and how much healthier it is. America's popcorn pioneer should consider changing his motto to "if my popcorn doesn't cause you to die early from heart problems, my name's not Orville Redenbacher." In my opinion, all you need for great popcorn is oil and salt.

Expanding on that notion, I've been looking for interesting salts to try on my popcorn. I took a cue from Michael Ruhlman and purchased this truffle salt. What I expected to be overpriced, bland and boring, is in fact fragrant and flavorful. It's delicious on popcorn, but that's just the beginning. I've been sprinkling it on this rich, triple-cream cheese to give it a little more kick, and it's absolutely delectable on eggs. I see a new egg nickmuffin in the near future.

6 comments:

Kendall said...

I agree! About the popcorn, not about the truffle salt, which is so bizarre/amazing-sounding I don't even know where to begin. But yes, as soon as popcorn is rescued from its terrible dry, cold, fake-butter-shellacked movie snack reputation, the better for America. $70 Billion popcorn bailout?

Nick N said...

I'll send the letter to congress!

Kate said...

truffle salt makes eating eggs for breakfast a good idea every day! try throwing in a little sugar with the popcorn... it's an interesting twist

Anonymous said...

I read about using bacon fat for popcorn on seriouseats.com. Wow. So it's really true? It does make for great popcorn. I'm still eating the microwave kind.I am ready for the switch.

Anonymous said...

Have you tried adding malt vinegar to popcorn? I tried it once at Graham Elliot in chicago, and it was amazing.

Anonymous said...

ah! my family and i have been addicted to truffle salt since i found it in a little specialty store on bleecker street in ny a few years ago for my mothers birthday. divine! i almost always put it in my eggs..can't wait to try it on popcorn!