Saturday, March 14, 2009

I will cook for you

There are a lot of people who only really talk to me to ask “will you cook for me” and it’s getting to the point where I don’t mind it much anymore. I just accept it. A friend recently told me, “if I had talents like you, I would show them off as much as possible.” I told her first that she certainly does have talents like me, and then I said that once you do have a talent like this, you really don’t feel the need to show it off. As you mature, you grow past that. You begin to want to share your talent, not gloat it.

A few nights ago I cooked dinner for a bunch of friends, and it was I who decided to do it. I wasn’t paying back any promises to cook for them, I wasn’t trying to impress anyone, I was just trying to have a good time with my friends.

I loved it. I was whisking a roux with Jack Johnson playing in the background, and my friends taking pictures of each other, cause that’s just what they like to do. It was the happiest I’ve been in a while. Good food, good friends, good music, what a combo. It almost made me sad, thinking that life couldn’t be contained strictly to times like these. It did make me sad, as a matter of fact, but it was a good kind of sad. Ironic isn’t it, that an instance can be so great that it dampens your spirits.

They all thanked me much afterwards, and it almost made me feel guilty. I had done this just as much for myself as for them.

15 comments:

Vivien said...

hey i still can't believe your are 16, the material you written and the creativity is just "too mature
and experienced...

Anonymous said...

is that a white and red KA in the first picture? looks awesome! ive got an orange one. You look so happy when you're cooking.

Chris (Topher) said...

I know exactly what you mean about showing off your skills. I like art, and I'm pretty good at it, but showing it off would just ruin my talent, not make it better.

Daniel King said...

Cooking makes me happy, it makes my friends happy, it brings people together ultimately satisfying so many basic needs we all have. If there really are "gifts from God" the ability to cook has to be high on the list.

Beth said...

It can't hurt to cook for your friends when they are so cute.

Jess L said...

So what did you make??

James said...

Sounds great. Just imagine if you could do that every day.....

Anonymous said...

hey Nick - you'll see, cooking for people is lots of fun. So what did you make? something that needed a roux obviously - gumbo?

Jimi Sweet NYC said...

Are you sure you're only 16? Good lord -- you're such an old soul.

Anonymous said...

Yea Nick! You left out the most important part! What did you make for them?? Since you've been on an ice cream kick lately I sure hope you made that for dessert. ; )

Amanda Nan said...

You don't know this yet [or maybe someone has texted you!!!], but CONGRATULATIONS ON BEST TEEN BLOG 2009 OR BLOGGIES!!!!

Anonymous said...

hey congrats on your bloggie!

Nick N said...

vivien: you're too kind!

cooking at 11: that's actually my friend's. Mine is from like 1960.

daniel kind:couldn't agree more

beth: that never hurts!

Jess: I made mac and cheese- it's relatively cheap, delicious, easy, feeds a lot of people, and makes everyone feel good.

james: that would be the life

amanda and mundane fiction: thanks for the head's up!

Anonymous said...

Gosh it would have been more fun if you invited more people

Trig said...

Do it just for the love of cooking, but don't ignore the fact that it can be a real chick magnet.