Thursday, March 5, 2009

Ice Cream

My experimenting with cookies led to infusing fats with flavor, which led to where I am now, experimenting with ice cream. Ruhlman's recent post on making Creme Anglaise inspired me to try my hand at some interesting ice cream flavors.

Thyme-Vanilla
I followed Ruhlman's recipe exactly, except I infused the cream with a whole lotta thyme, along with the vanilla bean. This, I thought, was incredible. I couldn't get enough. The thyme wasn't overpowering, but it wasn't a no-show.
Maple Pecan
Instead of sugar I used the same weight of maple syrup. At the end of the freezing process, I folded in some chopped pecans that I had cooked in butter and brown sugar. This ice cream was solid, though I definitely wanted more maple flavor to come through. I loved having those pecans in there for the texture not to mention flavor.

Cinnamon
I infused the cream and milk with three cinnamon sticks in addition to adding a teaspoon of ground cinnamon to the mix. It goes without saying that you have to like cinnamon to like this ice cream, but this stuff is not for the faint of heart. The cinnamon flavor comes through pure and strong. I liked this ice cream as much as the vanilla-thyme because the cinnamon really shines. I can only imagine eating this with some pumpkin or apple pie. yummmmm


More to come I'm sure.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

ice cream sandwich? now thats what i call a sandwich

Anonymous said...

what ice cream machine do you use?

Anonymous said...

I'm now inpired to make ice cream.

c3 said...

Vanilla-Thyme. Who'd a thunk it!

I've never made ice cream, but flavors like this might motivate me to give it a try.

c3 said...

Hey! What egg did you use??

Tags said...

You can also use creme anglaise to make chibouste. Just make some Italian meringue and mix it with the pastry cream.

To see what it's like, try the raspberry chibouste at Le Petit Mitron on Haverford Ave in Narberth.

Jumper said...

I have resigned myself to accepting that the crass "artificial maple flavor" is the only way things will ever get mapley enough. Having said that, it's delicious! It blows away the real thing on pancakes (sacrilege, I know). I think it would even make a good cologne or perfume.

Tim said...

What about using maple sugar in addition to maple syrup? I find it works well for upping the "maple-ness" when I cure bacon.

Nick N said...

cooking at 10: hahaha, clever. I use the cuisinart $50 one with the freezing thing that you have to chill for 24 hours. Sorry I guess I'm not real great at describing ice cream makers.

c3: Used regular eggs, though I was debating trying the emu egg. Problem is, you only use the yolk of the eggs, and i'm not sure Id be able to separate the emu yolk from white.

Bob, I actually just got the chabouste today, good stuff.

Jumper, you better TM that cologne idea before I steal it.

Tim, that's a great Idea. Hadn't even thought about that to be honest. Curing bacon with that sounds phenomenal.

Anonymous said...

anybody know the best icee cream maker? Cuz im thinkin of getting one.

Anonymous said...

nick, is it this
http://www.cuisinart.com/catalog/product.php?product_id=45&item_id=82&cat_id=10

Anonymous said...

nick, go to capogiro gelato in philly. 13th on sansom and 20th and sansom. Best gelato thats not in italy. Saigon Cinnamon is amazing. Interesting flavors like Avocado, Blood Orange, Asian Pear, Lime Cilantro, etc.

James said...

Maple ripple? What about stirring through some maple syrup in half way through freezing?

Was thinking about banoffee ice cream this morning. Banana puree, anglaise, sticky toffee sauce. Sprinkle on ginger nut crumbs when you serve it. Maybe some chocolate sauce too......

Nick N said...

cooking at 10, yea thats the one

james, that really sounds incredible

Anonymous said...

One of the most awesome ice creams I ever had was popcorn flavored ice cream. We made it in pastry class at culinary school. We popped a regular bag of Act II microwave popcorn and steeped it in the hot heavy cream and strained it out before making the anglaise. The buttery flavor comes through as well as the popcorn flavor. Most incredible.

Jeremy said...

You should try guiness ice cream... I have had good luck with it in the past. Have someone grab you a four pack of guiness, dump it all in a pot, reduce it by half and combine it with your creme anglaise. Throw it in the machine and you are good to go.

When you taste it, I have found it to be pretty complex. All the chocolate, coffee, and toffee flavors come through. Seriously, give it a try.