Monday, August 11, 2008

Late Night Eats

It was 10:30 at night, and I had no intentions of waking up early the next day. I thought about reading my summer books, but quickly dismissed that. I thought about going online and reading food blogs till 1 in the morning, but dismissed that thought as well, as I had done the same each night of the week. Then something caught my eye. It was big, juicy, hairy, sweet and hailed from Georgia. I took a glance, and noticed many of these wonderful fruits. A great big pile of peaches was on my countertop, ready to be used. There was no way my family was going to consume all of these before they went bad, so I set out to put them to good use.

I quickly checked EggBeater and found an all-butter pie dough recipe, which you can use right away!!! I divided the dough in two pieces and rolled them out to fit my pie pan. I then cut up my peaches into small pieces and tossed them with lemon juice, sugar, brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, some melted butter and a little flour, before dumping them in the pie sheet. I covered this with the other piece of rolled out pie dough and set the whole big thang in a 350 degree oven until the filling bubbled.
This has got to be the best pie I've ever baked (pies with grandma are in a different category). It was just incredible. Not much more I can say. I'm not gonna go on thesaurus.com and find a bunch of adjectives right now, so just be satisfied with incredible. The crust was the perfect texture, not too flaky, very soft and buttery, and the filling really put Georgia on my mind.

I will now take you to part deux. It was slightly later this night; about 10:45. Though I doubt I'm pregnant, the cravings started to come on. I longed for scones from my local bakery. I quickly reminded myself that I'm a cook, and began to search the web for some scone recipes. I turned sour cream (substituted for buttermilk), flour, sugar, butter and some other junk into these beautiful coffehouse scones. They were ready for my family the following morning and the old man called them the best he's had.
Foodie at Fifteen- Helping you find better, and more rewarding ways to procrastinate from work.

No comments: