Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Granola Bars

So I was watching Top Chef last week and I suddenly got a craving for chocolate and peanut butter. I often get these night time cravings yet usually do little about it. This day however, I had an excuse to stay up late (Top Chef), and so I found a quick, no bake recipe, and while the dude from Team Rainbow was making gummy noodles on national television, I prepared these granola bars.

Recipe (adapted from Slashfood)

2 1/2 cups Rice Krispies*
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup granola cereal
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter*
1 tsp vanilla extract

1. Combine Rice Krispies, rolled oats, granola and choco chips in large bowl.
2. Bring corn syrup and brown sugar to a boil over medium heat.
3. Turn off heat and whisk in pb and vanilla extract, then pour this mixture into the cereal mixture, stirring to evenly distribute the peanut butter mixture.
4. Press into a greased 9x9 pan.
5. Let cool (I kinda ate them hot) then enjoy!

*You can really use almost any kind of cereal in your granola bars. I think I'll throw in some Honey Bunches of Oats next time.

*I don't think the type of peanut butter matters. I personally always buy the natural, 2 ingredient (peanuts, salt) kind, so I tried that and it worked fine.

And the next day I brought them in for some friends.

No comments: