Thursday, January 1, 2009

I'm annoyed...

I'm annoyed right now, for reasons inappropriate for a food blog. I'm annoyed and bored. And so I decided to blog. I'm "venting" as some of my friends would say. It's my break from school, and I thought I would take the break off from blogging, but here I am, and there you are.


Christmas went by so fast. The hype builds up, and then it's gone. You almost wish you could encase it in gelatin, and make it last. I would season it, take a few tastes, then make it again. I would take slow bites, and savor it, which is essentially the equivalent of my listening to Christmas carols on New Year's Day, which I am doing, right, now.

Forget that paragraph. I kinda just threw it in for kicks. I would much prefer that you gaze longingly at my very Christmassy baked pannettone French toast. It's topped with apples sauteed in butter, and, what else but powdered sugar.
Or, better yet, look at this chocolate peanut toffee that I made for some very deserving people as a holiday gift.
Maybe you're not quite the sweet tooth, and you'd prefer to admire duck fast roasted potatoes.

Or maybe just plain duck fat soothes your soul.





Wait. Why was I annoyed again?

7 comments:

Nirav said...

The French toast looks like something I could spend an intimate evening with. :-)

w. said...

plain duck fat ftw. :)

the erratic epicurean said...

duck fat has been soothing my soul for the last month. in november my mom shipped me a 2lb. tub from the hudson valley foie gras company for my birthday. for christmas morning i made a whole sheet pan of duck fat roasted potatoes for my family and now they are all believers! mmmmm.

Thy said...

I've been vegetarian for 3 years, and now I'm considering dipping my finger in some duck fat...

you might like auntyyochana.blogspot.com. She's not quite a foodie but is an excellent Singaporean woman with an aptitude for baking...although sometimes she mixes flavors that only Southeast Asians would like.

EastVillageKitchen.com said...

Hi Nick - Just happened across you blog and I really enjoyed reading it. Looking forward to future posts.

Jeremy Hilton said...

Duck fat roasted potatoes...part of my ideal last meal. Good choice! As for duck fat itself, you'll be happy to know that I bought an entire gallon of it and cook with it daily. My tastebuds love me, my doctor does not.

Nick N said...

erratic epicurean, you have the coolest mom.

thy, do it, you'll never go back.

thanks eastvillagekitchen!

jeremy- im quite afraid of what will happen to me once I stop running.