Sunday, February 10, 2008

Lunch



I'm in high school and I am therefore faced with the everyday question of what to do for lunch. Sometimes I wish I was a high power attorney in New York, and that I was able to go to Cafe Boulud for a nice power lunch, yet, I am not, and will never be, and for now I must either choose to make my own or buy from the school cafeteria. I have always brought my lunch, but with bringing your lunch, there comes a larger array of choices. For a long time I have resorted to the Deli Turkey Sandwich, occasionally featuring seasonal ingredients, but basically a sandwich of whole wheat bread, lettuce, dijon, and deli turkey. Each item packed seperately, in an attempt to spare myself from a horror i see all too often, the soggy sandwich.


I have recently become disgusted with this sandwich, and have begun to pack more interesting and creative lunches. Highlights have been a honey roasted ham salad with mixed greens, summer squash, and a honey mustard vinaigrette, and shredded turkey with mixed greens wilted in soy sauce.


That is why today I roasted a chicken (using Thomas Keller's bouchon method), with no plans of eating it for dinner but rather to provide some excitement for this week's lunches.


On the menu for tomorrow,
Roast Chicken, garlic wilted spinach and sauteed shitakes.
Maybe I will throw in a drum stick for an afternoon snack.

No comments: